Are you re-entering the workforce after being out of it for a while? Returning to work can be stressful and challenging because you need to find an employer who is willing to take a chance on you.
Fortunately, there are things you can do to make sure you’re seen as a top candidate ready to excel so you can maximize your chances of getting hired. When jumping back into the job market, you should:
- Reach out to old contacts. If you have past employers or other industry connections, tap into them when you begin looking to return to the workforce. People who already know your skills may be more open to the idea of hiring you even if you’ve been away from the working world for a while.
- Update your resume and credentials. It’s imperative your resume shows your most recent work experience and effectively highlights your skills, especially if there are gaps. If you’ve been out of the workforce for a while, it may also be a smart idea to take some steps to show you’ve been keeping up with new developments. For example, you could renew certifications or take a course that you could include on your resume.
- Be prepared to show off your skills. If you happen to land an interview, you’ll need to be ready to answer questions, so you can show you haven’t gotten rusty. Brush up on industry terms and new developments to make sure you can impress the hiring manager.
- Use a staffing service for help. Staffing services have industry connections with companies that trust them. If you come in with a recommendation from a recruiter who knows your skills, a business is much more likely to hire you even with an employment gap.
- Consider temp jobs. If you’re having trouble finding full-time work, consider whether a temp job could open doors for you. Companies will be more willing to take a chance when they’re making a temporary commitment, and you can show off your skills and enhance your resume with recent experience.
SmartTalent can help you return to the workforce and find a great job in Kirkland, Fife, Renton, Lacey, Lynwood, Everett and surrounding areas. To find out more about how our staffing service can help you get back to work, give us a call today.